Fast food has changed the way people eat. Traditional diets and meals around the world are being replaced by hamburgers, pizzas and other highly processed and standardized foods. Families are spending less time preparing and eating meals at home and are eating out or calling for delivery more.
Britons narrowly beat Americans in a 2008 survey conducted to find out who ate the most fast food. But there’s no denying that the fast food culture is thriving not just in the UK and the US. In 1968, McDonald’s had “only” 1,000 restaurants; today, it is now the world’s most famous brand, with more than 30,000 branches worldwide.
People around the world have embraced fast food even though they are aware that it’s not the healthiest way to eat. Fast food meals lack nutrients and are loaded with dangerous trans fats, high fructose corn syrup and MSG and contain genetically modified ingredients, increasing your risk of obesity, diabetes and other health conditions, diet and nutrition expert Dr. Joseph Mercola explains.
At many fast food restaurants, a single meal gives a grossly disproportionate share – sometimes more than 100 percent – of the recommended daily intake of cholesterol, fat, salt and sugar, plus the overflowing calories, Dr. Mercola points out. But some meals are worst than the others. Here are the 10 fast food meals you should avoid:
1. Wendy’s Baconator Triple – Features three quarterpound beef patties and smoked bacon for a whopping 1330 calories, 345mg of cholesterol, 3150mg of sodium and 11g of sugar
2. Sonic’s SuperSonic Cheeseburger – Double “pure” beef patties gives you 980 calories, 1430mg of sodium and 13g of sugar
3. Burger King’s Quad Stacker – Contains four beef patties and bacon for “just” 930 calories, 1740g of sodium and 8g of sugar
4. Domino’s Bread Bowl Pasta – Will give you the bang for your buck as you get pasta served in a big bowl of edible bread and topped with meat or veggies. Will also give your waistline an extra bulge as it packs 670 calories.
5. In & Out Burger’s Double Double with Onion – Two burger patties equals 670 calories and 1440mg of sodium
6. Arby’s Large Beef n’ Cheddar – Piles of thinly sliced beef plus a bit of bacon in a bun equals 650 calories and 2300mg of sodium
7. Popeye’s Breast-Leg-Biscuit – 640 calories and 1940mg of sodium
8. Taco Bell’s Chipotle Steak Taco Salad – Definitely not a wholesome salad as it packs 900 calories and 1700mg of sodium
9. White Castle’s Sack of Cheeseburgers – Harold and Kumar munched on these and got 680 calories and 1320mg of sodium
10. Jack in the Box’s Jumbo Jack w/ Cheese – A large beef patty with two slices of American cheese equals 620 calories and 1250mg of sodium
Mercola concedes that fast food is very appealing because it’s cheaper, fast and convenient – it takes little effort to dine in or drive through. Making healthy meals for your family is challenging because you need to find the time and spend more but take a look at the long term benefits. Do you want to trade convenience and taste for a bed in the hospital or worse, an early ticket out of this life?